French toast is a lovely addition to breakfast, but eggs aren't so great for us vegans. So. What to do? How can we make French Toast without eggs? One way is by using a thickened coconut milk batter, which tastes amazing, and is totally free of undeveloped birds!
Because coconut milk is wetter than egg, cooking takes quite a bit longer than regular French toast, but this is well worth it.
Ingredients for 8 pieces:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup corn starch or rice flour
- ½ loaf thickly cut bread – slightly stale (easier to use). Baguettes are great, and you can certainly use gluten free bread as well!
- Cinnamon/cardamom (or any “sweet” spice), to taste
- A drizzle of high-heat oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix coconut milk with flour, making sure that all lumps are dissolved.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and in the meantime coat one piece of bread in the coconut mixture.
- Fry for five minutes per side until golden brown. Flip the bread and repeat until all the bread and coconut batter is used.
- Serve with a dusting of spices, coconut syrup (pictured) or your favorite syrup or preserves.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.