Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Upma is a traditional south Indian dish which is prepared from semolina or commonly known in India as suji. This dish can be prepared within 15- 20 minutes. It is extremely simple to prepare and is very healthy as well. Today I am going to customize this dish by adding oats instead of semolina which is extremely healthy and good for your well being. This dish is ideal for diabetic patients and is also beneficial for others as well. I have used my favorite veggies in this recipe, you can also customize this dish by adding your favorite veggies like tomatoes and bell pepper.
• 1 cup oats
• 1 onion finely sliced
• 1 carrot finely chopped
• Finely chopped French beans
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger
• 2 green chilies finely chopped
• ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
• Oil to cook
• Salt to taste
• 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
• ½ Teaspoon mustard seeds
• Cinnamon sticks
• Curry leaves
- STEP 1: Firstly we will put the oats in a pan and roast it for about 5 minutes.
- STEP 2: Then heat some oil in a pan and add curry leaves as well as mustard seeds, and saute for a minute or two.
- STEP 3: Now add the onions, ginger, green chilies and saute for two more minutes till the color turns golden brown.
- STEP 4: Now its time to add the veggies. First add the French beans and then the carrot and let the veggies cook for some time.
- STEP 5: Then add salt as well as turmeric and mix well. Cover everything with a lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- STEP 6: Now add the roasted oats and add 1 cup of water and mix well.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve hot with chutney or pickle. I hope you guys like this healthy version of upma, which is absolutely easy to prepare. Happy cooking.
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr.