Prep Time: 5 minutes
This is super simple and refreshing on a hot day. It is also a great chocolate milk alternative. I love Silk's Dark Chocolate milk, but it does contain cane sugar, so the following recipe is a nice switch up since it uses xylitol/stevia instead.
Raw carob (sometimes you can find it toasted) aids digestion and is a good substitute for coffee in certain beverage recipes for those not wanting to have any caffeine. I sometimes do add some caffeinated coffee to this recipe, but it is great without it.
You can find carob powder in the bulk section of health stores or in the "health" section of grocery stores. Bob's Red Mill sells a toasted Carob powder and I have also used NOW Foods dry roasted Carob powder.
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee (can omit)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1-1 1/2 tbs unsweetened carob powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3 xylitol/truvia/stevia packets (or 2 tsps)
- 1-2 ice cubes (or frozen coffee cubes / milk cubes)
- Simply blend everything! Test the sweetness and add more xylitol/stevia if desired. Start with less sweetener since it is easier to add more than to take it away. :) If you don't have any xylitol/stevia you could add in a bit of maple syrup/agave/coconut nectar/date sugar...etc. My favourite is xylitol, but I tried it with truvia the other day and it was still yummy.
If you want to make this extra decadent, you could add some vegan whipped topping on top (I have a coconut whipped cream recipe somewhere on my profile, I believe :)). I love drinking this out of a mason jar with a glass straw and adding in extra ice cubes after I have blended everything else. You can also double/triple the recipe if you are making it for more than one person or if you want some to save in the fridge for a couple of days.