How do you present vegan ideas to your children? Several writers have taken care of the matter for you by writing some very good children's books. Some of the following books promote a vegan lifestyle and some are aimed at treating animals as friends. There is even a pregnancy survival guide for vegans and a book with lunchbox suggestions for children.
- Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide – I decided to add this book to the list for the expectant mother to be. This book by Sayward Rebhal is touted as a perfect baby shower gift for an expectant vegan mother. It discusses nutritional needs of an expectant mother and how to deal with morning sickness, heartburn and other ailments of an expectant mom.
- Vegan is Love, Having Heart and Taking Action – Written and illustrated by Ruby Roth discusses how food arrives from the farm to the kitchen table. Some reviews state that the book may be too frightening for very young children.
- Animals are Friends, Not Food – Written by Dan Bodenstein is about a young vegan boy, named Steven. He explains to his friends on a field trip that animals are our friends and should not be eaten.
- That's Why We Don't Eat Animals – Also written by Ruby Roth was reviewed by one vegan mother of an 8-year old son as better suited than PETA films for a child of this age.
- Vegan Lunch Box – This book is written by Jennifer McCann as a guide for lunch box suggestions for children.
- Vegan Family Favorites – Recipes are listed that even your kids will love by Erin Pavlina.
- Kids Can Cook Vegetarian Recipes - This book by Dorothy R. Bates encourages children to cook vegetarian dishes and is also suitable for young teens.
- Don't Lick the Dog – A book written by Wendy Wahman teaches children the proper way to interact with a dog.
- Family Pack - A book written by Sandra Markle is about a wolf family living in Yellowstone National Park.
- Bailey – Written by Harry Bliss is a book about a dog named Bailey that goes to school; however, is distracted by a squirrel on the way. He fetches, paints and digs.
Royalty-free pics courtesy of 123rf.com.