Prep Time: 20 minutes
This is a great healthy vegan salad, that can be put together with very little preparation You can adapt it to use different coloured peppers that you have or different herbs such as mint and coriander. I like to serve this as part of a picnic spread or for a barbeque. Recently this formed part of a mezze platter for a middle eastern spread.
If you are vegetarian, you can also add some feta or halloumi cheese to this.
The great thing about this salad is that it can be made in advance, or in bulk and used over a few days. Typically a great filling packed lunch!
- One can Cannelini beans or dried beans
- One red onion
- Two cucumbers
- One red pepper
- Half cup pomegranate seeds
- Handful of parsley
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Pomegranate molasses
How to prepare the salad:
1. Add one can of cannellini beans/navy beans which have been rinsed and drained, to your salad bowl. If you prefer (as I do), soak dried cannelini beans in plenty of water overnight, and boil in a pressure cooker till soft but holding their form.
2. Peel two small cucumbers. Slice in half lengthways, and scoop out the seeds. Slice the cucumbers thinly and add to the bowl
3. Finely slice one red onion and add to the bowl
4. Finely slice one small red pepper and add to the bowl.
5. Add half a cup of pomegranate seeds.
6. Finely chop some parsley and add to the bowl. You can also add mint and coriander if you have some, but not essential.
7. Finely make a dressing of olive oil, white wine vinegar, pomegranate molasses (not essential) and salt. Add to the salad before serving.
8. Always serve at room temperature.