Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Burgers are my all time favorite meal and I have been trying to cook up some interesting vegan recipes that can satiate my cravings. Today, I am going to share a simple and delicious recipe of black bean and sweet potato veggie burgers that are both hearty and healthy. I like preparing the burger mixture in advance and refrigerating it, so that I just have to fry the burgers before serving them up. The sweet and spicy mix of ingredients gives the burgers an amazing flavor. Let's get cooking.
- 8 small sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 cans of cooked black beans
- 1 small red onion
- Couple of fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of hot paprika
- Salt to taste
- High-quality vegetable oil for frying the burgers
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Let’s start by roasting the sweet potatoes in an oven. Preheat it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and slice the sweet potatoes in the center. After 30 minutes, you can remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and peel the skin off. Once they are cool, roughly chop them and keep them aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook your quinoa and set aside to cool.
- Next, use a food processor to grind the oats.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, quinoa, chopped onion, cilantro leaves, black beans, cumin powder, chili powder, paprika powder, and some salt. Mix all of the ingredients together and ensure there aren’t any large lumps.
- Next, add the oats and mix it well.
- Start making the patties and place them in the refrigerator for some time, so that they are firm. (Think a couple of hours, at least)
- Use a pan to fry the patties with some oil. Flip them till they are golden brown on each side-- approximately minutes on each side.
- Now you can toast the buns if you like, and start assembling your burger with your favorite toppings like vegan cheese, mayo, lettuce, pickles, tomato, avocado-- the works!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr