I am a tomato lover and can eat tomatoes fresh, stewed, or baked. This is a wonderful recipe and can be created year round. In the summer, I change this recipe around slightly to make a wonderful stuffed tomato and spinach salad for lunch or dinner. During the cooler months of the year, this recipe is wonderful for your main meal at night. However you like your tomatoes, hot or cold this recipe is sure to please any tomato lover.
- 4 to 6 Medium to large size fresh tomatoes
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon pepper
- 10 Ounce package of frozen spinach, cooked and drained
- 1 to 1 ½ Cups cooked rice, depending on the size of your tomatoes
- 15 Fresh mushrooms, diced and sautéed
- 10 Fresh green onions, diced
- ¾ Cup unsalted cashews, diced
- 4 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoon hummus
- ½ Cup vegan Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Clean your tomatoes, cut off tops, scoop out the pulp into a bowl, and turn upside down on a paper towel to drain.
- Follow the direction on the package for cooking your spinach.
- Drain your spinach.
- Prepare your rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. You will need a little extra rice if your tomatoes are really large.
- Sauté your mushroom and garlic in olive oil and drain on a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, add drained spinach, sautéed mushrooms, garlic, cashews, tomato pulp, diced green onions, cashews, rice, ½ the vegan Parmesan cheese and hummus.
- Toss all ingredients, mixing well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place your tomatoes in a casserole dish.
- Stuff your tomatoes with your spinach and rice mixture.
- Top off the tomatoes with the remainder of your vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until hot.
- Serve immediately with hot Fresh bread and a tossed salad.
During the summer months you can change this recipe to make a wonderful stuffed tomato salad for lunch.
- Before cutting your tomatoes, refrigerate for a few hours so they are nice and cold.
- Follow the first 8 steps in the directions.
- Once the ingredients are mixed in your bowl, refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place your cut tomato on a few fresh spinach leaves on a plate.
- Fill the tomatoes with your mixed ingredients.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of your vegan Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with a small dish of hummus for a nice salad dressing to pour over the top of your stuffed tomato.