Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Have you ever had apple fruits, or any other kind of non-savory chip before? I used to buy natural apple chips from a company called Bare Fruit, but I had to order them, and for the amount that you get, it ended up being slightly pricey.
Apple chips are a healthy crunchy snack that take a bit of time to bake, but are very easy to make. Because one apple shrinks down quite a bit when in the oven, I would suggest making these when apples are on sale and baking a few at a time. I'm surprised it has taken me this long to give it a try!
- Optional: Squeeze of lemon
- Preheat oven to 225F. Wash and dry the apples and thinly slice them and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheets. Use multiple baking sheets if you have them, and if you have the space in your oven.
- Sprinkle Cinnamon overtop of the sliced apples and squeeze a little lemon on top if you wish. I didn't have any lemon at the time, so I just used cinnamon.
- Place in the oven and bake for an hour, then remove from the oven, turn over the slices and bake for another hour.
- They will firm up a bit more once they are removed from the oven. 90% of my apple slices came out crispy, but there were a couple that I sliced a bit thicker, so they stayed a bit soft. They were still good though. :)
- Allow the apple chips to fully cool before storing in an air-tight container. (That is if you aren't going to eat them all in one sitting, as I did ;) I only baked one apple though, to see how they would turn out.)
Try experimenting with different kinds of apples and see which ones you enjoy the best!