Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Want burgers with a twist? No problem! This recipe will have the whole family asking for more! These sandwiches are so good that the carnivores in your life will enjoy them as well. They're satisfying, tasty, and fun to eat. I came up with this recipe because I was looking for a five-star recipe for vegan burgers. I did not want the hassle of having to figure out how to make patties myself, and this was a quick and simple solution. Plus, it is a refined version of a classic barbecue burger, and it is definitely one of my favorite dishes.
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 4 large portobello mushroom
- 2 yellow zucchini
- 4 large tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Pull the stems out of the portobellos.
- Chop both the zucchinis and the stems to make one-inch pieces.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and add the mushroom stems and the zucchini. Fry until golden brown. Add the BBQ sauce and continue to heat for about five minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the mushrooms until soft, so about five minutes total, half the time on each side.
- Quickly heat the buns either in the oven or toaster.
- Place the portobello cap on the bottom bun, upside down.
- Spoon the zucchini and mushroom stem mixture onto the mushroom cap.
- Garnish with a tomato slice and a lettuce leaf.
- Add any other condiments that you would like to have with your burgers.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
*Image courtesy Flickr Creative Commons.