Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
This is my first blog here and for start I would like to share one of my simple vegan salad recipe.
This simple but interesting salad is great for exactly this season (well, at least here in Slovenia where there is chestnut growing in every forest that you look at). The dish is simple to prepare, it is healthy, delicious and you can find almost all the ingredients in your garden - if you have any. The rest of ingredients you can find in nearby forest, so this is another positive side of this dish – a lovely walk to nature. This salad is perfect for fall. And it’s perfect for a quick lunch or light dinner.
- 10 chestnuts
- A bowl of lettuce (endive, lamb’s lettuce, rocket salad)
- 1 carrot
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of black pepper
1. First you have to roast chestnuts. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Meanwhile cut the large X on a flat side of every chestnut. Put it in preheated oven for about 20 minutes. When chestnuts are roasted wait for a minute or two and peel them.
2. Clean the lettuce and put it in a bowl or a larger dish.
3. Grate the carrot and add it to your salad. (Carrot is great with chestnut, because they both have slightly sweet taste)
4. Prepare the dressing: mix vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic. Pour over the salad.
5. Finally add the peeled chestnuts and salad is ready.
6. Enjoy a healthy meal!
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.