Looking for some great vegan gift ideas? Whether you are vegan yourself or just want to give a vegan something special, there are plenty of great gift ideas. Here are five to get you started.
1. Vegan food basket. A gift basket is always a good gift, but you do need to make sure it's vegan before you give it. The best way to do that is to make your own! Start out with a nice container, such as a bucket or a simple wicker basket and use shredded newspaper to fill it, as an alternative to other not so eco-friendly fillers.
Look for vegan cookies (or bake your own!), candy and the like. You could even tuck a cookbook into the basket, with the spices and herbs necessary to make the yummy food in it.
2. Animal free beauty products. Find some lovely, vegan soaps to give and you'll be much loved. Artisan soap comes in so many delightful flavors that you really can't go wrong. You shouldn't stop with soaps, though! Look for lip balms and lotions that don't contain animal products (no beeswax lip balm!) to give as smaller gifts. Everyone gets dry skin, so these can be good gift ideas for guys or girls.
3. Wine. It can be tough to find vegan wine, so you may have to do some hunting. However, offering your favorite vegan pal a bottle of wine that he or she can drink is a really good way to kick off the holiday season. Just be sure to find out whether your gift recipient likes white or red better. Alternatively, opt for beer instead.
4. Something handmade. Nothing says you matter like a handmade gift from someone. You can ensure that you use all vegan products, whether knitting a scarf or assembling a wooden wine rack. This is also a great way to put your skills to use. Whatever you're good at, use that skill and create a unique gift that is tailored to the needs of that special someone.
5. Gift certificates. Giving your favorite vegan a gift certificate to a local vegan restaurant will be much appreciated. Specialty foods can be quite pricey sometimes, so this is a nice gesture to allow your friends to enjoy a dinner out without worrying too much about the cost. You can ask what their favorite restaurant is or look for one yourself in the area. Most sizable communities will have at least one restaurant which will offer vegan meals.
Giving vegan gifts during the holidays doesn't have to be nerve wracking. Everyone can enjoy a tasty chocolate bar, free of animal products and when in doubt, find out what your recipient enjoys most and give them something related to that.
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.