Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Rice is known as a staple food in India. Moreover, rice is regularly used in the South Indian region. Today, I am going to share a recipe of vegan tomato rice, which is very famous in South India. This recipe is easy and can be prepared quickly. The flavor of tomatoes adds a tangy taste to this dish and the blend of Indian spices is to die for. You can have this dish for dinner because it is easy to prepare and is wholesome as well. The ingredients used are very common. I am using my favorite vegetables here and yu can customize the dish by using the vegetable(s) of your choice. You can use green peas, carrots, or potatoes-- the sky's the limit Let’s get started with this classic dinner recipe.
- 2 cups boiled rice
- 5-7 tomatoes
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mince ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Step 1: Heat a bit of oil in a saucepan. Add the minced ginger and garlic to the pan. Once the ginger and the garlic are slightly cooked, add the finely chopped onion to the mixture and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Step 2: Now add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, and salt to the mixture.
- Step 3: Add tomatoes to your blender. Make a thick paste.
- STEP 4: Add the tomato paste to the mixture and cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Step 5: Finally, add the boiled rice and mix well.
- Garnish the tomato rice with finely chopped cilantro.
- Serve the tomato rice piping hot.
You can also serve the rice with any curry. Enjoy!
Photograph Courtesy: Flickr