Ever feel worn out before your day has even started? Or do you have a mid-morning slump at work? I tend to have a serious drop in energy around 10-11 am. It’s not fun, especially if you have to work through it and really, all you want to do is sleep. Fortunately, there are some foods to keep you awake, even if you prefer to avoid coffee and other forms of caffeine.
1. Bananas. These tasty fruits are the first on my list when I need something to give me a little get up and go. A banana is very easy to pack and take with you, since it comes in its very own wrapper. The reason this popular tropical fruit gives you a boost? It contains easily digested sugars to increase energy right away, plus carbs to keep the boost going. Add to that a healthy dose of potassium and you eliminate another reason you could be tired.
2. Walnuts. A healthy tree nut, walnuts are not usually what we reach for in times of energy lows. However, the nuts are one of the top plant sources for protein, which will perk you right up. They also contain a number of vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids to keep you going and increase brain power.
3. Coconut water. While this is technically not a food, but a drink, it deserves a spot on this list for being nature’s energy drink. Not only is it refreshing, the liquid is full of potassium and vitamins. However, the energy jump comes from lauric acid, which increases the metabolism and the electrolytes, which get your body going again.
4. Green smoothies. Toss a banana, some strawberries and orange juice into a blender and you have a tasty energy blaster. Add a handful or two of spinach or chard and you take this easy snack to the next level. If you find it tough to prepare this at work, try taking it with you. Just rinse the thermos or insulated cup out when you’re done or it dries and is hard to get off. Trust me on that.
5. Kiwi. Another awesome fruit to add to your diet, the kiwi is low fat, but has enough simple sugars to give you a nice jolt whenever you need it. It’s also a great source of potassium and Vitamin C, plus there’s plenty of fiber in each tiny fruit to keep you going for hours.
These are all great vegan alternatives to the usual yogurt or eggs that are recommended to zap you awake again. If you are having trouble staying awake when you need to, try one of these yummy and easy snacks to get that boost.