Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Making your own jam is a very exciting process! You are in charge of fruit contents, sugar contents and thickness, and unlike many store bought jams, you do not have to wonder what the mystery ingredients are.
This jam can be made in about 20 minutes (if using frozen fruit, fresh fruit takes longer because of pitting) and is sure to impress everyone who tries it. When simmering the fruit, your kitchen will become an aroma therapy chamber of glorious fruitiness. Lucky you!
Chia seeds have a natural goopiness which is perfect for thickening just about anything. They work well in puddings, breads, as an egg replacer and as a jam thickener!
After I went cherry picking, I tried this recipe with the cherries that were getting soft. Soft, or blemished fruits work perfectly for jams because those markings and depressions will no longer matter once they are cooked.
Fruit reduces when cooked, so three cups of raw fruit will amount to about 2 cups after cooking. Something to keep in mind when looking for glass jars.
- 3 cups fruit or berries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 -5 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or any natural syrup) or to taste
- If you are using fresh fruit or berries, start by washing the fruit and removing the seeds and bruised parts.
- Place the pitted fruit in a large sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes. The natural fruit juices will release and over time, they will begin to thicken. *If you keep cooking the fruit for an hour, you will end up with a very thick jam without the chia seeds, but chia makes things more exciting so let's continue.
- Add the maple syrup and chia seeds and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- You will notice the jam thicken at this point and it is a good idea to take it off the heat. It will still be somewhat runny, but it will set as it cools.
- Allow the jam to cool to room temperature before transferring into glass containers and chilling.
- The jam will last approximately two weeks in the refrigerator.
Image by author