I only eat pizza about four or five times a year, but when I get a pizza craving... It's a BIG craving and I pretty much drop all other dinner ideas. They don't have to be a "naughty" meal. You can ditch the bread-crust altogether and use portobello mushrooms as the base, create a baked cauliflower crust, make a crust out of mostly ground flaxseeds....you can also omit cheese and just stick to a tomato sauce and tons of veggies on top. I have to say that I lovvvve a bit of Daiya shredded cheese on my pizzas though.
*Some Healthy Tips:
- Use pitas/tortillas and make thin crust pizzas
- Use thin burger buns (make sure they are vegan) and make mini pizzas
- Use portobello mushrooms or large sliced zucchini as the "crust"
- Make a baked cauliflower crust (brilliant idea - not a vegan recipe though, so replace with vegan cheese and vegan egg substitute)
- Make a gluten-free flaxseed crust (use vegan egg substitute)
- Lighten up on the cheese and add on extra veggies
- Make a salad and/or veggie side dish so you have some lighter fare as well, in case you go all out and make a cheesy bready-goodness of a pizza. Having salad on the side helps to prevent overeating of the heavier foods (in my experience)
- Prechop the veggies and make the sauce beforehand so you don't have to prepare everything all at once.
Vegan Pizza Recipes
- Summer Squash & Tomato Pizza
- Sweet Potato Pizza
- Cheesy Broccoli Pizza
- BBQ Tofu Pizza
- Tuscan White Bean Pizza
- White Pan Pizza with Mushrooms
- Mac & Cheese Pizza
- Deep Dish Pizza
- Thai Chickpea Pizza
- Stovetop Pineapple Broccoli Pizzas
- Tuscan-Style Pizza Pockets
- Gluten-Free Pizza
- Tater Tot Pizza
- Vegan Feta & Spinach Pizza (Gluten-Free)
- Polenta Pizza with Kale., Chard & Parsley Pesto
- Green Pea Alfredo Socca Pizza (Gluten-Free)
- Carmelized Onion & Squash Pizza
- Portobello Mushroom Pizzas (substitute the dairy cheese with vegan cheese)
- Chickpea Pizza
- Potato Pizza
*Vegan Cheese Brands: Daiya, Tofutti, Galaxy Foods, Wayfare Foods, Follow Your Heart
*Image courtesy Flickr creative commons.